Sunday, April 21, 2013

first time when dealing with teens

After almost 3 years working with kids I decided that I was ready to start teaching big guys...I thought it was going to be easier as teenagers are more independent, they don´t ask too many questions, etc... God, I was wrong!!

They were not mean to me, neither nice...
they were challenging and they doubted about my knowledge in my area, they tested me trying to be smarter than me and making know-it-all kind of comment always adding the duh! thing after every single sentence.
I have to confess I was pretty scared and I actually felt like I was the worst teacher on earth, but the good thing was....they didn´t realized that.

Yes, fortunately my great sence of sarcasm (that was always critizised by mother) helped me to get out of that one easily.
Next day of class, even if they still were in that show-me-what-you-have-for-us attitude, class went by calmly and by the end of the day, I could see smiles in more than three teen faces.
This is only the begginig of a very personal encounter with my profession. I wanted to create a blog to share my good and bad experiences being a teacher, maybe to share tips that work for me but mainly to keep track of what I do every day for living.

2 comments:

  1. I think this blog was a great idea you had! :)
    Don't worry about the teens. They are scary, but I'm sure that more than 3 enjoyed your class, the other ones just didn't want to show it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, it is very satisfying to be close to those teens now. I am happy that now they are very approachable and we share great experiences together. Of course there are critical moments where I feel my head is going to explode. However, I believe in what I do, and hope the enjoy my classes.

    ReplyDelete